I want to dispel some myths and provide some information regarding household mold of which folks may not be aware. I get requests for home inspections for mold a lot and people don’t typically know enough about mold to understand the good and the bad. 

When we do an air quality test for mold inside a home we are also required to perform one outside, because air born mold spores are everywhere. So when you open the door you allow them into your home.  

If indoor mold spores land on moist area, they can begin to grow and spread. Some forms of mold produce allergens, substances that can create allergic reactions. Commonly the physical effects of mold resemble hay-fever with sneezing, coughing, running nose, skin irritation, and red eyes. They can also create or increase the negative effects of asthma or respiratory conditions. If you are aware that you have mold or suspect mold and someone in your household experiences any such symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately.

You can never get rid of all mold; it simply exists. If however you maintain your home in good repair and ensure that you do not have moisture issues you can reduce your risks. If you do find mold, it is imperative to not only get rid of the mold but to eliminate the problem that is creating the moisture. If you get rid of the mold and don’t fix the problem, be assured it will return and once again your risk increases.

The bottom line is that mold needs moisture to grow. Sometimes it is from a leak problem in the roof, plumbing, or windows. Sometimes it is from the AC unit being oversized and not running long enough to remove the moisture from the home. Ask anyone how to remove mold and they will tell you ‘spray some bleach on it”. This does kill the mold and makes it transparent, however it does not remove it; just add water and it is back. 

Though I am not a state licensed mold remediator, I know that if you have mold: 

• You have a moisture problem

• Mold can be removed with soap and water (dawn dishwashing liquid works well). 

• You must repair the problem that is creating the moisture and providing a breeding ground for mold. 

• Not all mold is toxic; meaning you could have a wall covered in the stuff and no air born spores.  

• The one thing that most people do not realize is mold is always and will always be present.

It is important that if you see or sense mold in your home, you contact a professional home inspector to determine the mold location if it is not on the inside visible walls as well as the type of mold. He or she will provide you with a report and you will then be fully aware if the mold is non-toxic or if you need a mold remediator immediately. And again I stress, you must mix the problem creating the moisture; not just get rid of the current mold.

error: Content is protected !!